You have all seen the amazing New Horizon 6×6 Designer Series Paper (pages 42-43 of the mini catalog). There is no doubt about how beautiful they are, but today I’m going to show you how you might make your own New Horizon scene just using stamps, ink, and glossy paper.
I learned this technique many many years ago, made one card, then promptly forgot about it until 3:00am this morning when I got up to go to the bathroom. You never can tell when inspiration will hit you, just run with it when it does. The key is using Glossy photo paper. You can purchase this at office supply stores, Amazon, or sometimes even your favorite grocery. I purchased mine back in 2013!
Supplies you’ll need for your horizon project
- Glossy photo paper
- Stazon Ink in Jet Black
- Stazon Cleaner
- Sponge Daubers or sponges – I tried using blending brushes and wasn’t happy with the result.
- A wax crayon. Any color will do but I used white.
- Some thin copy paper
- Post it tape or the sticky portion of post it notes
- Paper towel
- Circle punch or cropped circle die. Mine is 1″
- A solid image stamp like a tree or the grasses from On the Horizon, and various colors of ink
Step by Step
- Stamp the grasses and the birds on glossy paper with Jet Black Stazon Ink. This ink is permanent and can be used to stamp on anything. If you were to use regular black in, it would smear.
- Used a crayon to draw around the grasses where snow might have gathered. This looks especially cool if you have tree branches.
- Crop the circle for your sun – or moon – and use post-it tape to hold in place. I made several versions of this glossy scene before landing on the one I was most happy with where the birds were flying in front of the sun. The images below are from one of my earlier versions but the idea is the same.
- Tape thin copy paper over the glossy paper where your horizon line will be. I used the bottom of the grasses.
- Now you are ready to color with the sponge or dauber. Start with the lightest color first, then move up to dark. Overlapping and varying the height.
Making the Sun
Once your coloring of the sky is complete, crop the same size circle from another piece of copy paper, in the middle where there is plenty of paper around it. Remove the circle from your scene and lay the cropped circle over the top o fill in the sun with your sponge dauber. Be sure to leave it lighter in the center.
Now for the magic. Use the paper towel to rub the paper to remove the wax crayon. You’ll see white where the crayon kept the ink off the paper. Cool huh!
Add some layers of cardstock and DSP. Just something that accents your image, not something that overwhelms it. Finish it off with a simple sentiment and you’re done. trust me, gathering the supplies takes longer than making the card, but don’t be afraid to ‘create for the trash can’. In other words, it’s ok to not like your first, second, or 5th attempt. It took me three times.
Thanks for visiting my little portion of the Internet today. Click the button below to shop my online Stampin’ UP! store 24/7. If you have any questions, drop me an email at Lynn@AverysOwlery.com.Buy Awesome Stuff
If you enjoyed this post please be sure to…
- Check out my Gallery of Projects for more inspiration
- Save 10% on Product Bundles
- Check out the Clearance Rack and save up to 70%
- The $99 starter Kit is the Best Deal of ALL. Discounts & benefits Here
- Follow me on Pinterest
- Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel for paper crafting tutorials
- Follow me on Instagram
Discover messages of friendship and loyalty in the flowers from the August Paper Pumpkin Kit! This kit includes 8 cards, 4 each of 2 designs, and 8 coordinating envelopes. The kit is special because of the way it uses the meaning of flowers. On each card, you’ll find a small inscription of what the flowers represent. As you craft with the included vellum and watercolor paper pieces, you’ll know you’re sending a message of encouragement and loyalty to your recipients.
And don’t wait, because anyone who subscribes to this month’s kit will get a FREE stamp set! This Distinktive stamp set is perfect for a variety of occasions!Sign Me Up for Paper Pumpkin
JOINING DURING SALE-A-BRATION
Are you looking to get a great deal on Stampin’ UP products as well as a 20% discount on future purchases? Consider joining Stampin’ UP! and my team today. During Jan-Feb if you sign up as a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator during Sale-A-Bration, you’ll be able to pick two additional stamp sets for free after picking all of the products you want in your Starter Kit. The stamp sets need to be live at the time of picking them, so anything you see in a current catalog or at stampinup.com is eligible.Answering Your Joining SU QuestionsChange My Life – Join Now